Tuesday, March 06, 2007

The wrath of Hepsibar!!!

Katus had a very scary moment just today. Ems and Kate made biscuits last night, and this (obviously) rekindled the "all against amanda" (even though Amanda agrees) Cookie Vs. Biscuit debate.

I in no way disagree that Australians and English call biscuits 'biscuits'... and that Americans call biscuits 'cookies'... this, I am in total agreement with. I in fact call most biscuits 'biscuits'... though my exception seems to be my 'achilles heel' in Kate's eyes.

My argument is purely subjective... I classify fairly largish/medium, flat, crisp on the outside and soft in the middle, and usually with choc-chips... biscuits... "cookies", but only by nick-name. Like a Tim-tam is a type of biscuit for example...

This, it seems, is very much a contradictory statement. That I could agree to a biscuit being the Aussie term, but still call some biscuits cookies, completely puzzled, ok, maybe puzzled isn't the right term... perhaps... irritated or, frustrated Katus. [I should just warn those thinking of debating this topic with kate, think again!!! she can be rather scary...]

I tried to explain the "nick-name" concept to Kate, my example being that I may call Katus "katus", and another may call her "Kate", but she is still the same. That didn't go down too well. Two things came of that!

1) Katus pointed out so dutifully that a cookie could not both be a cookie and a bisciut. Just because I am of the oppinion that you could call it a cookie does not make it a cookie, just because it works for me... (katus, you may want to clear up this exact point... I cant quite remember what you said, and your memeory is like and elephants! )... We then stopped and related this argument to the subjective opinions people have of Christ. The "If it works for me, It has to be good, and right" oppinion many have. Though the cookie issue is much less important, I couldn't help but think that Kate did have a point with that one!

2) With the mention of "Kate" and "Katus", Kate then said that perhaps in another country she is called Hepsibar. I cowered from her glare behind the open cupboard door...

"what?!" she said, "don't you like the name Hepsibar?"
"I think it's cool" I said in fear.
She then passed me with a cup of tea and a biscuit, and stated, "It is cool!"

So there we have it... The debate continues!... I'll just summerise by saying;
HEPSIBAR SCARES ME!!

[Love you Kate!!]

I'll CU all Soon!

6 Comments:

Blogger Ascasewwen said...

This is me clearing up that point: Manda argued that while she accepted my point of view she was simply stating that in her opinion a cookie has the characteristics she described. My response to that was to point out the relativist stance of that argument, which she didn't have a comeback to. Score one for Katus, or Hephzibah if you're in Reykjavik. ;o)

But Manda, Hephzibah obviously doesn't scare you enough for you to spell the name right. Hephzibah.

But as to being scared of me... you're a smart little biscuit, aren't you? *evil chuckle*

5:55 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with you Amanda. A cookie is merely a member of the wider biscuit category. Just like all Hornfels are Granofels. You are not wrong to call a Hornfels a Granofels but if you want to specify as to the particular grainsize of your Granofels then you could use the more specific term of Hornfels. If you tell Katus this illustration I am sure she will understand the underlying principle.
Geology makes life so much simpler.

6:42 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am putting my vote in with Hephzibah. I don't care if it's large and squidgy in the middle, and contains choc-chips, under NO circumstances is a biscuit a cookie!!!! NEVER!!! We must fight the relentless Americanisation of our cultcha and this is where it truly begins. They are NEVER cookies, ALWAYS biscuits.

7:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL for Ben!!! Oh, brilliant!!

And yay for Sarah, who supports our stance!

And, of course, three cheers for our favourite ever Hephzibah. Even when she's scary. He he he.

8:04 pm  
Blogger Ascasewwen said...

Hooray for Sarah! And hssssss at Brother Ben's misguided naming categories, even if I did laugh at his comment.

8:11 pm  
Blogger Amanda said...

oh dear. Sarah, don't do this! I need you on my side... and I'm sure you are only choosing the other because you still have some non-conformist embedded in you. But do you realise you are conforming to Ems and Kate..?...

Anyways! enough arguing!... lol

YAY for Ben! Geology Rocks!

8:14 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home